Saturday, October 30

should a small start-up company bother about branding ?

Dr. Ned Roberto and Ardy Roberto answers the question should a small start-up company bother about branding ?


"As a small start-up company, should I be concerned about branding? I've always had the impression that I'll bother about branding when I get big. Also, I've heard my partners in the business talk about corporate, family and product branding. If ever I decide to invest in branding, how should I choose among corporate, family and product branding?"

Answer: You have two separate but related questions here. Let's diagnose the first one about branding when you're just starting your business.

When you had your children, what was one of the first things that you and your wife did?

We're quite certain that you were excited about choosing the name of each baby. (Unless, of course, you are like boxing legend-turned-infomercial marketer George Foreman, who named his four or five sons, George II, George III, George IV, George V, etc.) Nevertheless, naming kids was an act of branding.

You must do the same for your new "babies," your two hotels and beach resort. You not only want to give them a name, you want that name known to prospective customers, and retained in the minds of their customers.